It’s a historic week for the Club ahead of our Round 1 clash with the NSW Swifts, so we caught up with head coach Julie Fitzgerald to see how the team are getting on.
After all the months of build-up, it’s finally Game Week and the team can’t wait to get out on court.
Check out Julie’s interview with GIANTSNetballTV in the player below
• The GIANTS are one of three newly formed teams that join Suncorp Super Netball for its inaugural season in 2017.
• This will be the Swifts 21st season now spanning three competitions the former Australian domestic competition between 1997-2007, the Trans- Tasman competition between 2008-2016 and now Suncorp Super Netball.
• Susan Pettitt will play her 200th combined national league/trans-Tasman match in Round 1. Pettitt played 68 matches in the former Australian National League and 131 in the Trans-Tasman competition.
• The GIANTS have a combined total of 755 matches between them in the former Australian National League and the Trans-Tasman competition add to that 282 matches coaching experience of Julie Fitzgerald and that’s 1,037 matches of experience.
• In contrast to the GIANTS the Swifts have just 181 matches of playing experience and 48 matches coaching (Robert Wright) for a total of 229 matches at this level.
• Julie Fitzgerald returns to coach a New South Wales team for the first time since 2011 when she led the NSW Swifts in the former Trans-Tasman competition. Fitzgerald led the Swifts to four Australian domestic titles in 2001, 2004, 2006 & 2007 and she also led the Swifts to the inaugural Trans-Tasman title in 2008. She has coached 282 matches at this level for 194 wins, 85 losses and three draws at a 69% success rate.
• Swifts shooter Sam Wallace was the third highest scorer at Netball World Cup 2015 with 280/324 at 86%. Mwai Kumwenda (321) from Malawi was number one and Lenize Potgieter (298) from South Africa second.